Twitter’s official iOS app is sufficient when you’re not a lot of a tweeter, however in case you are, there’s a whole lot of helpful options which are lacking. Fortunately, there are many free Twitter shoppers obtainable that you should use in your iPhone. These third-party apps have options reminiscent of customizable interfaces, publish scheduling, and totally different browser choices for opening hyperlinks, to call just some.
There are fairly a couple of third-party Twitter shoppers for iOS, however we’ve examined all of them out and located that solely a handful of them are value your time. To be particular, 4 third-party shoppers shined above the remaining, in addition to one net app from Twitter itself that you simply’d need to use should you’re in search of simplicity over too many options.
Desk of Contents
Key Comparability Factors
Not all third-party Twitter shoppers are created equal, which is why we took a take a look at a number of necessary elements throughout each iOS software we reviewed. All the under factors correlate to the chart above.
- App Retailer Score: Each shopper on this record (besides Twitter Lite, which isn’t out there within the App Retailer) has a four.three score or larger within the App Retailer. Often, something above a four is constructive, which means it has a comparatively minimal variety of adverse critiques.
- Variety of Accounts Supported: Most individuals stick to at least one account, however it’s essential to take a look at the variety of accounts every shopper helps, particularly in case your job entails managing a number of Twitter accounts.
- Worth for Professional Model: Though all of those shoppers are free to make use of, 4 have professional variations obtainable that vary in worth from a $2.99 one-time cost to $29.99 a month.
- Professional Options: Paid variations often supply extra options and eliminate ads, and those within the chart are crucial ones to be enthusiastic about.
- Advertisements: Do the third-party shoppers function advertisements? In that case, what type? These vary from none to static banners to promoted tweets.
- Should Create Third-Get together Account: Just one app on this listing requires that you simply create an account as a way to log in to and use your Twitter account.
- 3D Contact: All apps have 3D Contact capabilities inside the app, akin to peek and pop help.
- iCloud Sync: Whether or not or not the app syncs knowledge on iCloud.
- Gesture Shortcuts: Not together with 3D Contact, right here we’re on the lookout for apps that use swipe gestures to get issues executed quicker, similar to undoing edits.
- Siri Integration: Some apps can be utilized with Siri immediately, after giving permission to let the app ship knowledge to Apple to course of your spoken requests. There’s additionally Siri Shortcuts, which makes life simpler by letting you create customized Siri instructions to make use of with the app. Just one app to date enables you to benefit from Siri for a custom-made hands-free expertise.
- Change House Display App Icon: Apps can embrace an choice for user-selectable app icons, which helps you to change the icon for the app that exhibits up on your house display. Only a few builders benefit from this iOS function.
- Inline YouTube Playback: If you faucet on a YouTube video hyperlink in a tweet, does it play on the Twitter timeline versus being redirected to the YouTube app?
- Instagram Picture Viewing: The power to view a picture from contained in the app when an Instagram hyperlink is included in a tweet.
- Browser for Net Hyperlinks: On Twitter, tapping on a hyperlink redirects you to an in-app browser. Sadly, in-app browsers typically lack performance, making them troublesome to navigate. Having different choices, reminiscent of Chrome, makes your net browsing expertise simpler and general higher.
- Darkish Mode: Twitter has a darkish mode that permits customers to flick through their timeline in low-light circumstances. This prevents eye pressure from the brilliant mild emitting from the standard white background. Do the third-party shoppers have an analogous darkish/night time mode function?
- Customizable UI: With the ability to customise Twitter’s consumer interface is likely one of the greatest options that a third-party shopper can supply. This consists of altering textual content font and measurement, shifting across the navigation bar, and making use of totally different themes.
- Panorama Mode: Twitter often works greatest when your telephone is held vertically (portrait mode), however with screens getting greater and larger annually (the XS Max has a 6.5-inch display), you could need to take advantage of out of the show by rotating the gadget in panorama mode when scrolling via tweets.
- Schedule Posts: The power to schedule posts on Twitter is a vital device for social media managers and the like. The official Twitter app doesn’t allow you to do that.
- Muting: Muting lets you take away customers, hashtags, and sure phrases out of your timeline with out having to dam or unfollow somebody.
- Constructed-In Hyperlink Shortener: Though all hyperlinks in Twitter rely as 23 characters, shortening not solely helps with the aesthetic of a tweet, it can be helpful for analytics. Widespread hyperlink shorteners embrace bit.ly and ow.ly.
- Join Third-Get together Accounts: We took a take a look at how nicely these third-party shoppers join with different accounts, together with Fb, Buffer, and extra. For apps with built-in hyperlink shorteners, you possibly can join your account on the hyperlink shortening service to get analytics on click-throughs as an alternative of simply making hyperlinks look fairly, although most choices would require you view that knowledge within the shortener account.
- Edit Photographs: Including a filter to, cropping, and in any other case modifying a photograph you add to Twitter makes the method of tweeting a lot simpler than having to make use of photo-editing apps first.
- Publish GIFs: Are you able to add a GIF in your tweet? All of those apps allow you to do that.
- Location Tagging: Utilizing your system’s location providers, Twitter can let the world know the place your tweet was despatched from. You can even choose out of this function on apps that help geotags.
- Save Drafts: Should you’re not able to tweet one thing out, it’s essential to have the ability to save a draft for later. The official Twitter app permits you to, and so do a few of these shoppers.
- Search Location: Are you able to seek for tweets by geolocation?
- Ship Direct Messages: Sending a DM to somebody on Twitter is a useful gizmo for personal communication, and all of those apps help it.
- VoiceOver Accessibility: VoiceOver is an accessibility function that permits these with imaginative and prescient impairment to have their display learn out-loud, together with tweets. Just a few help this.
How We Selected These Apps
Narrowing down one of the best third-party Twitter shoppers to solely 5 was a troublesome activity, seeing as there are dozens obtainable within the App Retailer that appear like good prospects. In consequence, you could discover a few of your favourite Twitter shoppers lacking from this record, nevertheless it’s for an excellent purpose.
To begin with, they have to be free, and nearly all of options shouldn’t require any in-app purchases. For a paid app, one thing value your time can be Tweetbot 5 for $four.99, however since we’re solely taking a look at free apps, it didn’t make the reduce right here.
Second, these free Twitter shoppers ought to all have an App Retailer score of four.three or greater. There have been a number of that match the invoice lacking from this text, however we minimize them as a result of our chosen apps did all the things they might and extra. There’s one exception, nevertheless, and that’s Twitter Lite, which isn’t out there on the App Retailer. We included this as a result of it’s a great app for customers who truly need much less noise, which we contemplate a function itself.
App 1. Echofon
In the event you’re not a fan of all of the bells and whistles that some Twitter shoppers have, and you favor simplicity and minimalism, Echofon for Twitter presents a clear consumer interface that also packs a punch with a number of distinctive options, one in every of which provides you the power to handle as many Twitter accounts as you need.
At first look, Echofon seems to be lots like Twitter. The timeline has an identical type, however the media preview in every tweet is extra compact, giving different tweets extra room to breathe in your display. On Twitter, it’s not unusual for 2 tweets to take up your complete display directly, so it’s good to have the ability to see extra.
Unread tweets are stored in sync between Echofon on totally different iOS units, so that you by no means need to see the identical tweet twice. The navigation bar additionally sits on the backside, however as an alternative of solely with the ability to entry search, mentions, and direct messages from it, it’s also possible to view your profile, likes, followers, lists, and who you will have muted.
Though Echofon does have a static advert proper above the navigation bar, you possibly can shut it, and it gained’t reappear till you force-close the appliance, which doesn’t should occur fairly often. The professional model removes this advert (and provides different options, comparable to Siri), however in case you don’t need to spring the $four.99 for it, you’ll be able to stay with closing the advert as wanted.
Utilizing search, you’ll be able to check out what’s trending worldwide (or in your nation), your saved searches, and close by tweets. A map with inexperienced pins present you the precise location the place all native tweets have been despatched from, however they solely seem if the individual used location tagging when tweeting. Faucet on a pin and you may see the content material of the tweet. For those who’re a fan of Snapchat’s Snap Map, you’ll take pleasure in this function.
Among the best options in Echofon is the brand new tweet part. Not solely are you able to write up a tweet, however you may as well schedule it, tag your location, shorten your hyperlinks, add an outline for the visually impaired (VoiceOver), and edit your photographs. And once I say edit, I genuinely imply edit.
Add an image, and you’ve got over a dozen instruments to play with, together with filters, crop, orientation, textual content, draw, blur, focus, stickers, frames, redeye, meme, and extra. Swipe gestures make it straightforward to undo edits. By far, it’s a greater in-app photograph editor than Twitter’s.
Don’t be fooled by Echofon’s minimal type, although — there’s quite a bit to find.
Within the settings, you’ll discover a good variety of choices you possibly can toggle, together with font measurement, show fashion, photograph preview, and themes (seven decisions can be found). In case you mess with the settings sufficient, you possibly can clear up much more room in your timeline so you possibly can see extra tweets directly. In superior settings, you possibly can log in to your Buffer account to shorten hyperlinks in your tweets, in addition to Pocket or Instapaper to save lots of articles out of your timeline to learn at a later time.
Considered one of our favourite options (which Twitter had at one level) is the power to view Instagram photographs immediately out of your timeline as an alternative of getting to faucet on the Instagram hyperlink to view it from the in-app browser or bounce to the Instagram app. Additionally, you don’t have to stay to Echofon’s in-app browser — you’ll be able to select to open hyperlinks in Safari as an alternative.
Unusually sufficient, Echofon lacks gesture shortcuts to navigate via the interface, however it’s not as huge of a crutch as you’d anticipate. Sure, it does lack options that different third-party shoppers have, like darkish mode, however what it lacks it definitely makes up for with simplicity, which may go a great distance if you’re coping with dozens of tweets a second in your timeline.
App 2. Twitterrific
Twitterrific, generally misspelled as Twitterific, has extensively been thought-about the perfect Twitter third-party shopper since its preliminary launch in 2007, and for good cause: it was the primary to point out a personality counter in your tweets, show replies and dialog threads within the app, and have a chronological timeline when Twitter switched to its new algorithm (which it lately reneged on).
One other fascinating tidbit: the builders behind Twitterrific used a fowl icon for his or her emblem earlier than Twitter, they usually truly coined the phrase “tweet.” There’s little question that Twitterrific is a vital a part of Twitter’s historical past, however how does the shopper maintain up now … in 2019?
As you may anticipate, Twitterrific continues to be managing to remain forward of the sport by providing you a customized, feature-packed, less-cluttered, and easier-to-use model of Twitter. An expertise that allows you to handle as many Twitter accounts that you’ve management of.
On the floor, Twitterrific can come off as a bit clunky because of the over-sized profile footage, embedded pictures, and movies in every tweet that you simply see the primary time you employ the app, however that’s deceptive as a result of you possibly can customise these elements of your timeline, in addition to many different options. In reality, Twitterrific reigns king among the many remainder of the Twitter shoppers on this record in relation to customization.
You’ll be able to customise fonts (there’s Helvetica Neue, Georgia, and eight others), textual content measurement (from smallest to large), line spacing, picture thumbnail measurement, avatar fashion, software icon, the sidebar, badges, emojis showing in usernames, and extra.
There are even two choices for night time mode: darkish and black, the latter which helps iPhone customers with OLED screens (iPhone X and newer) save battery as a result of black pixels don’t require energy. Moreover, Twitterrific is the one app on this record that takes benefit of Apple’s user-selectable app icons function, so you’ll be able to select between 13 totally different icons.
So yeah, customization is sort of in depth in Twitterrific. At occasions it might even really feel a bit overwhelming, particularly as a result of customization on iOS is restricted, so this might probably irk you.
As on your timeline, gestures make it extremely straightforward to view likes, retweets, conversations, and threads; reply to tweets; and change accounts. Additionally, you possibly can view Instagram pictures instantly out of your timeline, identical to with Echofon and UberSocial.
When you don’t just like the in-app net browser, you’ll be able to change it to an in-app reader mode for much less distractions when studying an article. Additionally, if you wish to use a completely totally different app for opening hyperlinks, you possibly can select Safari, Chrome, or Firefox.
Promoted tweets are gone, though you do have a static advert proper beneath the navigation bar that stands proud like a sore thumb (you’ll be able to take away it with the professional model). Syncing to iCloud additionally lets you decide up the place you left off in the event you’re utilizing Twitterrific throughout Apple units. One other nice function is Middle Stage, which creates a Rolodex you possibly can shortly swipe by way of to view all of the pictures in your timeline.
From the sidebar, you possibly can entry your mentions, likes, direct messages, search function, and lists. There’s additionally a function there referred to as Muffles, which is Twitterrific’s model of muting, permitting you to cover customers, key phrases, hashtags, and hyperlinks out of your timeline. Nevertheless, in contrast to conventional muting, filtered tweets are minimized and nonetheless seem in your timeline as a single line which you can work together with if you would like.
Twitterrific additionally comes with strong help for VoiceOver, the iOS accessibility function for these with imaginative and prescient issues, putting the app alongside just one different third-party Twitter shopper on our listing (Echofon) as disability-friendly.
A number of options that we might have favored to see in Twitterrific embrace in-app photograph modifying (which Echofon has) and YouTube playback out of your timeline (a function in UberSocial), however we will’t be too fussy when there are a ton of options that closely outweigh these minor inconveniences. There’s a professional model for $2.99, which provides a translation service for tweets, in addition to an ad-free expertise.
App three. UberSocial
Previously often known as Twidroyd, UberSocial is usually a bit intimidating at first due to what number of options and settings it packs into one place, however when you get the grasp of the place every part is, this third-party shopper has the potential to supply a extra user-friendly expertise than Twitter itself.
Open UberSocial for the primary time, and the whole lot you’d need to entry is out there from the UberBar on the prime of the display. Scroll by means of it, and you may entry your timeline, direct messages, likes, profile, search, what’s trending, close by tweets, settings, and extra. Should you scroll down sufficient, the UberBar disappears, which is a pleasant contact.
Once more, very similar to the opposite third-party Twitter shoppers on this record, a static commercial lives on the backside of the appliance, however you’ll be able to eliminate it by tapping on the “X” (it comes again momentarily) or buying the professional model of UberSocial for $four.99 (it disappears completely).
Though each Twitter shopper on this record lets you add GIFs out of your iPhone, UberSocial has a built-in GIF finder. Sadly, it solely works once you sort in sure key phrases, like pizza, unhappy, canine, and different easy phrases, in your tweet. That’s a bummer as a result of with the ability to search can be a a lot better choice. Nevertheless, you may also publish to Fb from right here, a pleasant contact.
UberSocial’s greatest function is the power to observe YouTube movies out of your timeline as an alternative of being redirected to a browser or the YouTube app. Even in case you watch an embedded video, it can play instantly in your timeline and never in an in-app video participant like on Twitter. Additionally, Instagram photographs might be seen in your timeline, identical to with Echofon and Twitterrific.
Additionally, like Echofon, you possibly can open hyperlinks in Safari as an alternative of viewing in-app.
Different options that work properly in UberSocial embrace Image Stream, which helps you to view solely tweets with photographs, movies, and different wealthy media, and Internal Circle, the place you’ll be able to choose various customers and solely see their tweets. You additionally get to handle as many Twitter account as you’ll be able to deal with.
Just like the earlier Twitter shoppers, UberSocial additionally has settings you possibly can fiddle with to customise the interface, similar to textual content measurement, navigation bar (you’ll be able to place the UberBar on the backside), and theme (there are 5 choices). No, it’s not almost as in depth as Twitterrific, and never as minimal as Echofon, however UberSocial does have sufficient distinctive options to warrant its inclusion into our prime 5 listing.
App four. Hootsuite
In contrast to the remainder of the Twitter shoppers on this record, Hootsuite isn’t unique to Twitter. As an alternative, it’s a social media administration app, perhaps the preferred social media administration app, that allows you to handle as much as three social media accounts at no cost, together with Instagram, Fb, YouTube, and LinkedIn. Extra accounts can be found for $29.99 per thirty days. In the event you’re trying to handle extra accounts from one place, Hootsuite could also be for you.
One caveat with utilizing Hootsuite is that you will need to create an account earlier than you should use Twitter, which could be non-negotiable for many who don’t need to hassle with extra accounts. Nevertheless, the method is quick, and the upside is that you should use extra than simply Twitter from this app. When you log in to Twitter, you’ll be able to view your timeline, mentions, and tweets from your property web page.
For those who compose a tweet, you possibly can take or add a picture, tag your location, and choose whether or not you need to share the content material of your tweet to another social media accounts you’ve gotten related to Hootsuite. Should you handle the social media account for a model, this function is why you may select Hootsuite over some other shopper on this listing.
One more reason a social media specialist may flock to Hootsuite is for the power to schedule tweets. Compose a tweet, hit “Subsequent,” and you may both ship the tweet now or schedule it with an automated timeslot or a customized time. As soon as you choose a date, you possibly can view your whole scheduled posts from the planner part of the app.
A 3rd purpose Hootsuite is sweet for social media administration is the built-in hyperlink shortener. For those who toss in a hyperlink and faucet on the hyperlink shortener icon, it is going to shorten it utilizing ow.ly. In addition to making a tweet look higher, hyperlink shortening is beneficial for monitoring clicks, though monitoring is simply obtainable within the professional model.
For those who’re in search of a feature-filled Twitter shopper, Hootsuite just isn’t for you. You possibly can’t customise your UI, there isn’t any darkish mode, you’re caught with an in-app browser, and there aren’t many distinctive Twitter-centric instruments, however Hootsuite excels in simplifying your social media administration by supplying you with one place to schedule and publish posts.
App 5. Twitter Lite
Twitter Lite is the one shopper on the listing that’s not obtainable within the App Retailer, although it’s on the Play Retailer for Android units, however that’s solely as a result of it shouldn’t be. Created by Twitter, Twitter Lite is strictly what it feels like: a lighter, quicker, and data-friendly model of Twitter that lives solely in your net browser of selection. As such, you’ll be able to solely handle one Twitter account.
Open Twitter Lite in your net browser, and it’s just about precisely like Twitter. The navigation bar has the very same look, besides it sits on the prime of your timeline as an alternative of the underside. You’ll be able to entry tendencies for you, notifications, and direct messages, and you can too draft a tweet and create a thread or add photographs, GIFs, and even polls, identical to on Twitter.
You possibly can entry your account information within the sidebar and look at your profile, take a look at analytics, handle settings and privateness, and even allow night time mode. You could be asking then, why transfer from utilizing Twitter, which has extra performance, to Twitter Lite? Nicely, that’s as a result of a lot of the main variations lie beneath the hood.
Twitter Lite makes use of much less knowledge, masses faster on sluggish connections, works higher on shoddy cellular networks, and takes up nearly no area in your gadget (just one MB). Based on Twitter, the lighter model is optimized “for velocity, with as much as 30% quicker launch occasions in addition to faster navigation all through Twitter.”
Twitter Lite additionally contains a knowledge saver mode that reduces how a lot cellular knowledge the app makes use of much more. In case you flip it on, your timeline will probably be crammed with previews of pictures, movies, and hyperlinks, and of which you’ll be able to faucet on to load absolutely. Knowledge saver mode reduces knowledge utilization by as much as 70 %. Twitter Lite additionally works offline, which signifies that your timeline gained’t be disrupted for those who lose connection for a bit bit.
Like UberSocial, Twitter Lite permits you to watch YouTube movies out of your timeline as an alternative of being redirected to a browser or the YouTube app.
If the considered not having an app available on your own home display bugs you, you’ll be able to all the time add the Twitter Lite web site to your house display instantly from Safari. It even seems identical to Twitter!
As we talked about, the online browser model of Twitter simply isn’t as useful as the appliance, however that’s why it’s helpful. Typically you could simply need to flick through Twitter with out all of the options that may get in the best way. Because the identify implies, Twitter Lite is for many who need the Twitter expertise, just a bit much less Twitter-y. Nevertheless, you’ll nonetheless need to cope with promoted tweets, one thing the remainder of the shoppers eliminate.
In what was an in depth contest, we’ve to provide Twitterrific the highest spot for the immense quantity of options it has to supply. Not solely is customization off the charts (two darkish modes, anybody?), nevertheless it has distinctive options reminiscent of Middle Stage and Muffles, in addition to swipe gestures that make the expertise of scrolling down your timeline higher than on Twitter.
Nevertheless, that’s to not say that the remainder of the Twitter shoppers on this listing aren’t value contemplating. All of them shine in several elements: Echofon is minimal but feature-packed, UberSocial is intuitive with video playback, Hootsuite is a social media administration juggernaut, and Twitter Lite is nicer to your battery and knowledge plan. Relying on what your wants are, any of those might be number one in your listing.
This text was produced throughout Gadget Hacks’ particular protection on turning into a social media skilled in your telephone. Take a look at the entire Social Media collection.
Don’t Miss: Extra Ideas & Tips to Assist You Use Twitter Like a Professional
Cowl photograph by Justin Meyers/Gadget Hacks; Screenshots by Nelson Aguilar/Gadget Hacks